A few people asked if I would write a blog again for this trip and so, although I sometimes slack on actually posting, I thought I would try again since it is a nice way to share pictures and stories beyond the reaches of facebook and emails. Hope you enjoy!!

Monday, September 13, 2010

First weekend in Ouaga!

Today will be the beginning of my third week here in Ouaga! Which means I still get to have a lot of the “firsts” that you get from having just arrived somewhere. First weekend in Ouaga, first trip to the village artisanal, first night out in Burkina, first ride on a moto in Burkina etc.

This weekend was a long weekend because Friday was the big celebration to mark the end of Ramadan (a month long fast that Muslims do). Sarah and Emeline invited me along to go see two of their friends in the afternoon. Everyone has a bit of a party and then you go around to visit everyone and end up eating multiple meals a day! Although we got lucky and only had two :)

Other then that it was a pretty relaxing weekend. Went to a really great African dance class Saturday morning that a friend of Sarah and Emeline had organized! I think it will continue every Saturday… THAT was a work out :)

Emeline also took me to a guy that she knows who makes shoes. As in hand makes them for you! That is kind of fun! We then went to a woman who makes bags but after over an hour of Sarah and Emeline discussing what kind of bags they wanted with what kind of details....with two powercuts during that...turns out the lady had a waaaay unrealistic price and we left without the girls getting their bags! Aaah I'm slowly remembering the joys of patience!!

The weekend ended of very nicely with a couple rounds of tea with our very friendly Burkinabè neighbours!

I'm starting to like this place already :)

This is my house! It feels a little strange to live in a whole big house with a garden and guards. I feel much more grown-up then I think I want to be :p





This living room! We are going to do something about the couch covers... really they are just hideous! It's a little hard to see in this photo...but trust me!


Our little porch with our kitten friends sitting on the chair. Actually, we'd rather they not be there but one of the old owners had them (two black and white kitties) and now they just don't ever want to leave! Which makes it hard for us who are kind of obliged to feed them a little cause they really don't seem to be capable on their own. But the problem is then that they are also very picky and pretty much only eat sardines... a can of sardines a day for each is not that expensive but when you think that that means spending 600 CFA a day and that very many people in this country would use that 600 for their food for an entire day. Seems odd to me to spend it on cats! That is my moral dilemma in this house :p


Our walkway from the gate and Sarah's car!

Our big blue gate :) and Nicolas...one of our lovely guards standing watch!


And below...my pride and joy!! I've had her almost a whole week now and she hasn't broken down once!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Isn't she a beaut?





3 comments:

  1. Sarah! Your house looks incredible!! That's what my house was like in Bots. Super fancy. You're kind of like, wait, am I in Africa?
    Beautiful lush gardens! And sexy bike. :) I hope you can use it without fear of being sideswiped on the roads.
    And perfect cuz Ouaga's not that big right? Can pretty much get anywhere on bike.
    Shit, alarm at DFAIT just went off...
    we'll send emails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out the biker chick on your facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT BIKE IS STELLAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    INCREDIBLE!!!!

    ReplyDelete